Saturday, May 3, 2014

BERRY GREEK YOGURT WAFFLES



Sometime ago I purchased Bob Harper’s Cookbook (from the Biggest Loser) called, Skinny Meals. I LOVE this cookbook. There are so many EASY recipes to follow and most if not all, have been delicious, even Paul agrees! What is also great about this cookbook is that there are very few ingredients in most of the recipes. Occasionally, like these waffles, I have to change up some of the ingredients based on whatever is in the fridge! Just because I’m on the “wedding diet” doesn’t mean I can’t have my waffles and eat them too!



Berry Greek Yogurt Waffles
Serves 5
Serving Size: 1 waffle each
Adopted from Skinny Meals by Bob Harper

2 cups Gluten Free Rolled Oats

½ teaspoon of sea salt

1 teaspoon of baking soda

1 teaspoon of cinnamon

1 tablespoon of agave

¾ cup of unsweetened almond milk {Alyssa’s Note: it tastes better with almond milk but I have used water and it is still delicious}

¼ cup of plain nonfat Greek yogurt {Alyssa’s Note: I have made with a flavored yogurt too if that is all you have, however healthier with plain}

1 large egg

1/8 cup of coconut oil

½ teaspoon of vanilla extract

½ teaspoon of almond extract

Cooking Spray (I always use my olive oil mister!)

Berries of your choice: Blackberries, raspberries, strawberries etc and I like bananas as well

Waffle Iron- {Alyssa’s Note: I have made these into pancakes when I haven’t felt like lugging out the waffle iron. With pancakes I do the exact same recipe only form circles on a hot GREASED frying pan.}



Step 1. Heat the Waffle Iron

Step 2. (This is a different step from Skinny Meals Recipe. Bob Harper mentions to blend all the ingredients- in my opinion, ain’t nobody got time for all that ;)) Mix together all the ingredients listed above until you have the desired consistency. {Alyssa’s Note: I like it to look somewhat smooth and together so occasionally I’ll need to add a little more liquid.}

Step 3. Lightly spray the waffle iron making sure to coat all those itty bitty crevasses to save you LOTs of time later!

Step 4. Pour about 1/3 cup of batter in the center of the waffle pan. I like to spread it out a little. {Alyssa’s Note: These waffles are thicker rather than wider.}

Step 5. Cook waffles for about 4-5 minutes each or until you see they are cooked through.

Step 6. Repeat steps 3-5 for the rest of the batter.

Step 7. Place sliced strawberries, blackberries, and 1 banana in a frying pan with a little cooking spray. Simmer these fruits together on low while the waffles cook. Once they become almost syrupy take off the heat.

Step 8. Take about ½ cup of fruit and place over the waffle. I like to use a dollop of leftover yogurt to place on top.

Step 9. Enjoy. (Disclaimer: Difficult to not eat all servings in one sitting ;) Don’t say I didn’t warn you!)


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading each and every message! I will always reply to them!