Monday, March 3, 2014

ITSY BITSY CORN GRITZZAS


 I don’t think snow days can ever get old in my household! The excitement of watching the television to see if your school district is cancelled is truly priceless! I feel like a little kid every time there is even a chance of snow! My eyes are glued to the TV!


I finally had more time tonight so I couldn’t wait to try this recipe, which I have been drooling over for weeks! And after breaking in my new kicks on the treadmill today, this recipe was a must. Trust me… it.. did.. not.. disappoint! Paul, my favorite taste tester, had seconds and by seconds I mean he ate my lunch for tomorrow. Thank goodness for another snow day on Tuesday ;) 


Itsy Bitsy Corn Gritzzas
Serves 4- approximately 14 pizzas
Adopted from ahouseinthehills.com

1 cup of Gluten Free Polenta

3.5 cups broth (I used vegetable)

2 large yellow onions

2 bags of spinach

handful of fresh basil

½ teaspoon of dried thyme

sea salt to taste

4 table spoons coconut oil

2 cloves of garlic

4 tablespoons of chopped pine nuts

1 can diced tomatoes with green chiles


Directions:

Crust:
1.   First combine 1 cup of polenta with the 3 ½ cups of broth. Then add chopped fresh basil and thyme. Cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes or until fluffy. Make sure to stir consistently so the polenta doesn’t stick to the bottom and burn (yuck)
   2.   When polenta is cooked. Take off the burner. Stir and mix until even thicker. I let it sit for a few minutes before forming my pizzas! I wanted it to be cool so that I could touch them and form circles.
   3.   Spoon a tablespoon of polenta onto two greased baking sheet. I used my hand to flatten the polenta into about 2.5 inch rounds.
4.   Bake for 15-20 minutes until slightly golden brown.
5.   While the polenta is baking, start the topping for the pizzas!

Topping Time:
   6.   Chop two yellow onions; I left them larger slices than usual. Scoop 3 tablespoons of coconut oil into a pan (numero uno). Heat pan and then add the onions. Stir every few minutes until caramelized ( took about 20 minutes) (This was Paul’s favorite part of the meal)
   7.   Sauté 2 chopped gloves of garlic in a different pan (numero dos). Once golden, add one bag of spinach. Once the spinach has wilted add the second bag.
   8.   Open the can of diced tomatoes and empty into a small sauce pan (numero tres) just heat over the stove. I thought this adds a little more flavor.

  Don't let the three pans scare you, each ingredient is so delicious is needs it's own pan!
   9.   Once the polenta pizzas are done, add the toppings; I did a spoonful of tomatoes, spoonful of spinach, small scoop of onions. Then I topped the pizzas with pine nuts.

Finishing Touches:
10.                Finish off in the oven until pine nuts are toasted! (10 minutes)


Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading each and every message! I will always reply to them!