Saturday, December 21, 2013

CLEAN TOMATO SOUP AND GRILLED CHEESE



The other weekend I was able to reap one of the best benefits of being a teacher; a snow day! So with all this extra time on my hand, I was able to make a few dishes that I have wanted to make this winter season. So I bring you a Clean Eating Tomato Soup and Grilled Cheese. As my favorite taste tester, Paul said, he would eat this every night!


Clean Tomato Soup and Grilled Cheese

 (makes 4 servings)

Tomato Soup

Garlic- 2 cloves minced

Ginger

4- 5 medium Celery Stalks- diced

3 Carrot Sticks or 20 or so Baby Carrots- diced

1 Can of Peeled Tomatos

1 Can of Tomato Paste

1 Red Onion- diced

Salt

Pepper

EVOO

Chicken Broth- incase too thick- optional

Parsley

Basil

Sundried Tomatoes in oil

Olive Oil Spray

Pepper

Red Pepper

Cilantro- chopped for garnish

Grilled Cheese:

Ezekiel Bread

Mozzerella

1 Avocado


 The Ingredients


  I start first by sautéing some olive oil in a large pot. Then I dice the celery, carrots, red onion, ginger, and garlic.


After those vegetables sauté for a few minutes I add the parsley and basil.


                   Once the vegetables start to brown, I add the peeled tomatoes.

                                                 
Then comes the tomato paste. Now I let this soup cook down for about 20-30 minutes. The longer the better the flavors!


 While the soup is cooking down, I begin my sandwich. You could always make the "open faced adult grilled cheese" or this grilled cheese above. I sprayed the pan with olive oil then place the bread, 1-2 slices of mozzarella cheese and 1/4 of an avocado.


When the soup is done being cooked on the stove (when it is thick and all the vegetables are cooked through) it is time to take the pot off the stove. Then place the soup in the blender. Slowly spooning the soup into the blender. Start on low and move to medium and then high. The soup can be as chunky or smooth as you would like. This is the time that I would add chicken broth to cut down the thickness if you would like. I thought the chunkiness was perfect.



Enjoy,

Lyss

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading each and every message! I will always reply to them!