Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Roasted Bacon and Beet Salad

(sorry for the not great quality picture, it was from my iPhone)

This is such an easy weeknight salad. The salad was seriously, like seriously, fork licking good! I even went back for seconds, which is something I proudly say I NEVER do! It was just that delicious, I couldn't help myself! The bacon is crunchy and roasted beets are soft yet crunchy too, that combo just changed my life! That might need to be a staple in my kitchen now!

Roasted Bacon and Beet Salad
Serving size 4-6
Recipe from Against All Grain's Meals Made Simple
For the Salad:

2 medium beets, peeled and thinly sliced
1 avocado, diced
2 pears (I like Bartlett), diced

6 cups or more of lettuce (I mixed kale and my lettuce from the Farmer’s Market) washed, and ready to go

4 slices of organic bacon

¼ cup of chopped pecans

For the Dressing:

¼ cup of EVOO

2 teaspoons of White Balsamic Vinegar (or you can just use regular balsamic)

1 teaspoon of Dijon Mustard

Salt and Pepper to taste

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Peel beets and slice into thin rounds. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Lay sliced beets on the baking sheet towards the center. Make sure though, pieces don’t overlap. (Be prepared for some scary fingers! I would suggest cutting on a cutting board if you don't usually so it's easier to wash!)

Lay four slices of bacon over the beets. This will create a nice coating of bacon grease for the beets to roast in. (few things in life are better than bacon grease)

Cook for 15 minutes.

While cooking whisk together dressing. In a small bowl mix together EVOO, white balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, salt and pepper. Whisk until everything is combined. Set to the side in the fridge.

Once (first) 15 minutes are done, toss the beets around with the bacon just so each side is cooked evenly. Cook for another 10 minutes.

After those 10 minutes are done, throw in the pecans to roast for 5 more minutes.

When beets and bacon are finished, take out of the oven and place a few paper towels over the baking sheet. Pressing lightly (be careful it’s hot!) to soak up some of the grease. (don't skip this step, soggy bacon grease lettuce, gross)

While that cools, mix together pears, lettuce, and avocado! Once bacon is cooled, chop up the bacon and any beets that are not bite side. Mix everything together minus the dressing.

Serve with 2 tablespoons of dressing drizzled over the salad.


If you fancy, you can add some goat or any other soft cheese if you would like! Would be yummy!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading each and every message! I will always reply to them!