Monday, February 16, 2015

Oatmeal Sandwich Bread


One of my, many, goals for the New Year was to bake more, and by bake more I wanted to make bread! Delicious, gooey, soft, crispy, golden bread! I finally stopped being a coward and did it! I am always torn between baking, and eating healthy. I have a tendency to make things then want to eat them of course! Dilemmas.. Dilemmas.

I absolutely LOVE the Eat, Live, Run blog. Jenna, who went to culinary school, creates easy to follow AMAZING and beyond delicious meals. We have yet to be disappointed with any of her recipes! So, when I took on this challenge, I knew I needed to find one from her blog! This was the winner and boy let me tell you it is so out of this world!  


Letting the yeast soak.


 This is so important, to measure each part! I bought this scale on Amazon and I use it ALL the time! Not just for baking but making sure I stick to those approrpriate portions!


This is the part where that dough gets sticky icky!



I meant how good does that look? There are few smells that are better than fresh baked bread! I'd say fresh chocolate chip baked cookies are a close second...



I couldn't stop with the pictures. So delicious!




Oatmeal Sandwich Bread
Orignially from: Eat, Live, Run

370 grams all-purpose flour
48 grams old fashioned oats
14 grams organic cane sugar
1 packet (1/4th oz) active dry yeast
15 grams very soft butter (1 tbsp)
10 grams sea salt
1 1/3 cups warm water
additional old fashioned oats for rolling

Directions:

Pour yeast in warm water and add a pinch of sugar. Set aside to let the yeast activate.
Mix together the flour, oats, salt and sugar in a large bowl. Add the soft butter and slowly pour in the liquid.
Mix with either your hands until dough is smooth. It will be sticky. (Which, I really don’t like that feeling, side note).
Cover bowl with a dishcloth and set in a warm place to rise for 60 minutes, until the dough has just about doubled in size.
When the dough has doubled, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and punch down to release any air bubbles caused by the yeast. Cover punched down dough with the dishcloth and let rest for 20 minutes on the counter. I learned this is called “Bench Rest.”
Form your dough into a small log and roll in oats. Place dough in a greased loaf pan, cover with cloth and let rise again for 45 minutes in a warm spot. While the dough is rising, preheat oven to 475.
When you are ready to bake, reduce oven temperature to 375 and place bread in oven. Don’t open oven, it will release steam. Bake for 45 minutes or golden brown.
Remove from oven and place on a cooling rack. This helps all sides stay crispy.
Let bread cool before eating! Or if you’re like my husband and I, we shared a delicious slice when it was still steaming hot! Smeared with Almond butter of course! That’s healthy right ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading each and every message! I will always reply to them!